Friday 4 December 2015

THE THIRD NATION (A FICTION) Pt- III

Read Part-II


“For past few weeks you always poke me with religion. What’s wrong with you?” I literally cried. “When you see my face, you kiss me. When you see my belly, you kiss me. When you see my thighs, you kiss me. Why don’t you talk of Muslim that time? Don’t they belong to a Muslim girl?”
I cried, I was feeling like I have lost my last reason to live the life. He, whom I loved, accuses me for being a Muslim. 
“What do you want from me?” I asked him.
“It’s not your fault. It’s our ancestors’. During partition of India, the basis was religion. In 1940, Jinnah told that the Musalmans are not a minority but a nation. Savarkar had said that it is a historical fact that Hindus and Muslims are two nations. During that time 14.5 million people displaced, million died. They say it was about ‘One divisions’ or ‘Many division’ but truth is that Muslims have got a country and Hindus didn’t get one.”
“Don’t say India is for Hindus,” I prompted.
“Ofcourse, it is not. I am fed up debating with pro-Hindus. Logically they are right. By the two nation theory, Muslims got their share but still a few patriotic Muslims refused to be a part of partition and 
remained in India. Well, it’s appreciable. Why didn’t they try to stop partition then? Either get back Pakistan or give Hindus their nation.”
I knew it was high time to take a stand because religion came in between the relationship. I quietly stood up and went in my room. I remembered his warm embrace. I remembered him making funny 
expressions for me. But partition was need of the hour. It was better to be displaced like Sindhi Hindus of Punjab who did that non-violently. I decided to come out of live-in relationship. I patted myself for using protection every night. I don’t want my child to be another Kashmir.
Time passed painfully. Almost after three months Adarsh appeared at my door to take me back.
“Sorry, actually I was fed up answering everyone’s question regarding Muslims. When they compare Indian muslims with that of Pakistani terrorist or with ISIS, I literally had no answer. After contemplation, I think that the need of the hour is a third nation- a nation for seculars, a nation for us. Either India should be divided once again among Hindus and seculars or India should unite back and fight back the terrorists. I know you put me wrong. You are going with me. Get ready.”
When the basis of partition was crystal clear then why didn’t they declare a separate Hindu nation? I was quietly reasoning his logic through. May be he was right. If Hindus get a separate nation, we may no longer be named as terrorist. 
“Baby, I know, I have hurt you a lot. I should not have talked about religion. I promise, I will not ever make the same mistake. Love you baby.”
He waited from morning to evening hoping to take me back. I showed no interest. A Muslim can never have a family with a Hindu. I love him and this makes me feel proud. I hope that the next time we both are together, we will be in a third nation. Lastly he stood up to catch up the last train to his destination. I had last minute to stop him. I observed him as he walked to the door. I took a deep breath and started counting in reverse under my breath. “Ten, nine, eight, seven…”
I knew I made my mind and so I stopped at seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment