Tuesday 1 December 2015

THE THIRD NATION (A FICTION) Pt- I


“All Muslims are not terrorists. You know, you always make me feel like a terrorist. What’s wrong with you these days?” I shouted at him.
“I don’t know about all Muslims but you are a terrorist. You have made my heart captive for long.” He pulled me towards him and tried to kiss my lips.
I pushed him back and switched off the television. I knew a single word anymore would spark a controversy. We are together since our post graduation days. I proposed him when we were in the first year and got a negative response then. He loves mathematics and when it comes to me it’s physics. It’s needless to say, physicists harbour great minds. Anyway, coming back to our story, it’s him who used to
top every assessment. He was the handsome guy with a brain. You know, he was the crush of every girl in the college, even a few seniors were in the list.
The college days were over. He was at his home in Kolkata and I was in Assam, the state of tea. The University declared the result after a month. As usual he topped the list. It’s Adarsh Roy. Do you know how it feels when someone whom you love gets success? I had the same feelings on hearing his results. I bet you would have done the same thing I did. I ran to the college notice board. Yes, it was him. And the next name reads Afia Choudhury. I could not believe this. It was impossible. How could I be at second position?
We departed but the tiny phone kept us in contact. One chilly night when all were sleeping, surroundings was pin drop silent, my cell-phone woke me up. It was a message that read, “Are you sure you love me? See, you are a Muslim and I am a Hindu. Do you think we can be together?” His words made me want to cry. He loves me.
“Don’t be afraid of religion. It’s meant for our safety.” I replied.
We decided to go for a date. He was confused and so was I. We took the corner seat at the restaurant.
There was no one except the receptionist. He was busy with the television- remote. “Two cups of tea,” I ordered.
“Should I think your message as a proposal?” I spoke out.
“Don’t you think society will kill us?”
“May be,” I was not worried about that. “So, you love me?”
“Your eyes and the little nose in between make you the prettiest girl in the world.” He stared at me. “I want to settle down with you.”
“I don’t have a problem. I can promise you my cent percent. I will love you till your last breath.” I held his hand in assurance. “Who won’t love to live a life with a handsome guy like you?” I smiled.
“What about your family?” he asked me.
Yeah, family was a problem. How would they allow me to live with a Hindu boy? But, I was 26 years old then and that made me ready to enjoy my freedom.
“I am ready to live with you,” I replied. “But I will not change my faith. If you can’t accept me, it’s fine. Love and faith never die.”
“I love you.” He touched my fingers on the table. “Let’s settle down here in Delhi. Here nobody cares about religion.”
“But I can’t marry you now. I need time.” I was imagining my family’s reaction actually.

                       ..... Part- II

No comments:

Post a Comment